What Is an Anxiety Disorder?
Anxiety disorders are more than just feeling anxious. Anxiety is a natural emotion that can help you better plan for a work meeting or stand in front of a crowd with confidence when completing a speech. It can also aid in the fight-or-flight scenario in which your body deals with stress. Yet, for those who have an anxiety disorder, the feeling is not justified and, in many ways, can lead to uncontrollable thoughts and actions.
When your anxiety interferes with your life and worsens over time, that’s an indication that you may need help for your disorder. Some of the most common symptoms of GAD and other anxiety disorders that require treatment include:
- Restless, wound-up, and unease even if you don’t know why
- Experiencing negative thoughts and fears that don’t seem rational or realistic
- Racing heart or shaking – experiencing unexplained sweating
- Having an irrational fear of something such as a phobia
- Excessive worrying and the inability to control worrying
- Shortness of breath
Anxiety and addiction occur when a person uses drugs or alcohol to control their symptoms.
Common Types of Anxiety Disorders
Social Anxiety Disorder
How an Anxiety Treatment Program Heals the Mind
Each of our Needham, MA, drug rehab programs includes treatment for anxiety, including:
- Intensive outpatient program
- Women’s treatment programs
- Men’s treatment programs
- Evening intensive outpatient program
- Partial hospitalization programs
We offer an anxiety treatment program that can help you manage your anxiety and undo negative thinking.